Friday, September 22, 2006

Craters

After a long day’s work, I was leaving for home yesterday night at around 12am. The drive is on a 4-lane highway, which merges onto a 6-lane highway. Driving to my home is a breeze and takes less than 5 minutes to reach my home, which is at a distance of about 4.5 kms from my office.

Enter the nuisance.

En route, there’s a big township (Hill Ridge Springs) and as I was leaving for home, I saw someone, with the bandobast of a police, erecting a crater of a speed breaker just before the entrance of this township. Goddamn. Why in the world will one build a speed-breaker in a highway? Speed breakers are the biggest nuisance in India; not even pot-holes. Even the slowest of the slowest driver is harmed by these speed breakers. The need of the hour is *active enforcement* not passive enforcement like these. Given that human labour is far cheaper in India, I can’t just believe why we can’t do ‘active enforcement’.

Here’s a link from Chandigarh traffic police (regarded as the best & stringent in managing city traffic) if you’re interested in reading further.

No comments: